Where To Look For Mold in Your Home
SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball is always here to help.
When it comes to mold damage, prevention is essential to minimize the havoc that mold wreaks on your home. Mold can be hazardous to your health and your home, which gives you all the more reason to keep a sharp eye out for any signs of mold to treat it before it becomes a problem. Since mold is attracted to moisture and water, it’s natural to presume that the most common places for mold growth are in damp areas of your home, and this is correct!
To combat mold growth before it does serious damage, get in the habit of regularly checking these three locations.
1. Your Bathroom
With your toilet, shower or bathtub, and sink all being connected to sources of running water, it should be no surprise that your bathroom is one of the most frequent culprits of mold growth. Your shower and your bathtub are normally damp and retain some sort of moisture 24/7 since they often never completely dry out between uses, which makes them the perfect environment for mold spores to thrive. Make it a weekly habit to check all the nooks and crannies of your shower and bathtub for mold growth, including the shower curtain, the shower head, the faucet and faucet handles, the tub, and even your shampoo bottles and razors that you keep in the shower. Routine cleaning will help you identify and minimize mold growth as well.
2. Your Kitchen
After your bathroom, your kitchen is the second most likely location to find mold in your home. With the dishwasher, the fridge, the kitchen sink, and other appliances that use running water, your kitchen also is set up for the accumulation of moisture that mold growth loves. Don’t forget to check underneath the sink for mold spores as well as along any windows and windowsills that are present. If your windows aren’t properly sealed, they may be a source of mold growth. Also, be sure to thoroughly dry your dishes before storing them in your cabinets! Different commonplace kitchen items like wooden spoons and cutting boards can be prime locations for mold growth.
3. Your Bedroom
Although you might not necessarily have running water sources connected to your bedroom, it’s good practice to also thoroughly inspect it for mold on the regular. Mold can creep up in places like your air conditioning vents and units, windows and windowsills, and in curtains or on your mattress. Especially if you don’t have a mold-resistant mattress, all it may take is a little bit of moisture soaking into your mattress for mold to grow. Make it a biweekly routine to inspect your bedroom for mold in all of the places that are susceptible to it.
While these three rooms are among the top places to look for mold in your home, there are additional locations to consider when completing an informal mold inspection at home. We recommend checking out this article for a few more mold-prone areas. Whether you know you are dealing with mold or just suspect that an unidentified substance might be mold, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball at (281) 374-6454 to come and check it out. Mold always requires quick action, and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
SERVPRO Will Get You Back in Business Quickly
SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball is always here to help
Flooding and water damage events in Houston, TX commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we're dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we will be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball
SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential properties after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Getting Rid of Odors After A Fire Damage Can Be Difficult!
If you have fire damage to your residential or commercial property, call SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball at (281) 374-6454, we are always here to help.
For Fire Damage Restoration and Deodorization of Your Houston, TX Home, Call SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball.
Odors are volatile molecules that people's noses sense when they are present in the air. Since fragrances can easily evaporate, they eventually go away or dissipate once the source gets removed; however, the removal process can take a long time.
What can cause smoke odors to exist?
During fire damage projects in Houston, foul aromas usually get caused by burnt materials or soot residues that are present after the blaze gets extinguished. The first step our SERVPRO technicians take during the restoration process is to remove all charred items and clean any surfaces that contain soils and soot residues. Once we capture all soils, residues, and burnt materials, we dispose of them in sealed plastic bags, so other previously unaffected areas of your home do not get contaminated.
What do you do if unpleasant smells still exist after all soot residues have been cleaned and burnt materials have been removed?
In some situations, foul aromas can still be present after soot is removed and debris has been disposed of because the smoke can penetrate porous materials deeply. When this occurs, we can use the following products and equipment to deodorize your house:
Odor Counteracting Beads- These are made of a special treated porous material that, as soon as the bag is opened, deodorant molecules get released into the air.
Deodorant Granules or Pellets- These specialized pellets or granules are odor absorbent that act as a sponge and hold in odors.
Water-Based Odor Counteract-ants- Specialized chemicals can be added to cleaning solutions that can help counteract malodor particles.
Ultra-Low Volume (ULV) Misters- ULV fog machines break down water-based deodorants into a mist so the chemicals can penetrate porous materials.
Thermal Fog Machines- Thermal machines break oil-based deodorants down even smaller so it can travel through your structure in the same way smoke did.
Sealers- Specialized sealant paints can trap in malodor molecules.
If you ever smell smoke in your home after you have a fire in Houston, TX and surrounding areas, call SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball at (281) 374-6454.
Fire Tips To Keep Your Family Safe
If you have fire damage to your Houston, TX home, call SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball at (281) 374-6454.
According to the American Burn Association, children are the most susceptible to burn injuries. 73% of all burn injuries happen in the home. At some point in time, children are going to be curious about fire, but it can be dangerous and costly.
Here are some tips to follow to keep your family safe according to the National Protection Association:
- Be sure to keep all matches and lighters out of the reach of children, preferably somewhere up high or in a locked cabinet.
- Closely supervise your children, making sure that they are away from any fire sources, including lit candles, cigarettes, fire pits, and stoves.
- Take advantage of any opportunity to teach your children about fire safety.
- Explain that fires are something to be taken seriously as they move very fast and can hurt you with contact.
- Teach young children to not touch matches or lighters, and to notify an adult immediately if found.
- Establish a clear set of rules and consequences about unsupervised and unapproved uses of fire.
- Remember, children are always watching. Make sure you set a good example by handling fire in a safe manner.
- Show your children appreciation for displaying respect and age-appropriate responsibility when it comes to fire.
If your children happen to burn themselves, cool the burn by running it under cold water for 10 to 15 minutes.
If it is a more serious burn, CALL 9-1-1.
The 6 Step of Water Mitigation
SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball is always here to help, give us a call at (281) 374-6454 if you have storm or water damage to your Houston, TX home.
When your property incurs water damage, acting quickly is important
When you discover water damage, you can count on SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball's six-step restoration process to truly restore your property to its pre-damage condition.
6 Steps to Water Damage Restoration
- Initial Emergency Contact
- You can call us 24 hours a day to begin the water restoration process because taking immediate action is crucial after water damage occurs. When you call us, we will ask you questions to get an overview of the damage and to help us determine what resources to dispatch to you.
- Inspection and Damage Assessment
- When we arrive on the scene in response to water damage, we will do a detailed property inspection to assess the scope of the damage and to develop a thorough plan of action. We will identify the water source, the category of water, and check for safety concerns.
- Moisture Extraction
- The water extraction process will remove the majority of moisture via our vacuum and pump units. We will start this process as quickly as possible to lessen the likelihood of more damage occurring and to reduce drying time. We can also help you move out of your belongings in the event that they might be damaged as well.
- Dehumidifying and Drying
- After the excess water has been removed, we can begin fully drying all porous materials that have absorbed water. Our industrial-grade equipment moves air quickly and helps moisture to evaporate as fast as possible, which will dry out floors, walls, and carpets as well as discourage mold growth.
- Cleaning and Repair
- After sustaining water damage, impacted surfaces will typically require professional cleaning. In addition to structural cleaning, we will clean your belongings that are able to be restored. We will also do odor removal to prevent the musty odor that water-damaged objects often develop.
- The final step is ensuring that your property is restored to its pre-water condition. This will involve things like drywall and flooring repairs or even reconstruction. By working with us, you are working with a company that can handle all elements of the restoration, including the difficult reconstruction parts that truly restores things back to their pre-damaged state.
We Are Cleaning Experts
SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball offers Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned services for your residential and commercial buildings. Call us today at (281) 374-6454.
SERVPRO is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the corona virus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of COVID-19, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball, (281) 374-6454.
Flooding Strikes Everywhere
Call SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball at (281) 374-6454, we are always here to help!
Floods rank as one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. Whether you live near a coastline, along city streets, in the mountains, near a river or even in the desert, there is a potential for suffering flood damage. In fact, nearly 25% of last year’s claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were for policies in moderate to low-risk communities. According the NFIP, houses in the United States have a 26% chance of being damaged by a flood during the course of a 30-year mortgage, while businesses face similar risks by flooding. On average, flood cost $6 billion in annual losses in the U.S. The following are a few more little-known flood facts:
- Flood kills an average of 140 people per year in the U.S. making flooding the deadliest disaster.
- More than half of all fatalities during floods are auto related, often the result of drivers misjudging the depth of water on a road and being swept away in a swiftly moving current.
- The principle causes of floods in the eastern United States are hurricanes and storms.
- The principle causes of floods in the western United States are snow melt and rainstorms.
- Underpasses can be some of the most dangerous places during a flash flood – especially at night, when it is difficult to see.
With over 45 years of experience, SERVPRO has restored flood-damaged homes and businesses from coast to coast. Our Global Disaster Recovery Team is trained and equipped to handle the largest storms and the highest flood waters.
It's Hurricane Season!!
SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball is here to help 24/7, 365! Call us at (281) 374-6454
Hurricane Hanna made landfall in South Texas over the weekend causing some serious damage and flooding. SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball was dispatched to Corpus Christi and The Valley to assist in the cleanup process. We have crews out there right now drying out a large commercial building that has water damage from the hurricane. We also brought equipment to help other SERVPRO franchises in the area because of the large amount of water damage.
For more information regarding Hurricanes and Tropical storms, visit the National Hurricane Center.
If you have been affected or impacted by a storm call SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball at (281) 374-6454. We are always here to help! We are now a Global Disaster Recovery Team, which means we have the proper training, equipment, and facilities located in various locations to ensure that we are always nearby and ready to help.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
Call SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball at 281-374-6454 if you have any questions or concerns! We are here to help 24/7, 365 days a year!
Being open for business is just the beginning of our new journey forward. Employees may be hesitant to return to work and customers may wonder whether the businesses they patronize are safe. The COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean. Are you ready to communicate with your customers and employees that you’ve chosen a higher standard of clean for all Americans? Are you ready to be Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned?
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program that SERVPRO offers to commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 global pandemic. This is a level of clean that goes far beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. This is proactive viral pathogen cleaning. When you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard—you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on over 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE™, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will help ensure you and your business are set up to inspire customer confidence as the economy begins to reopen.
To schedule your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation—Contact SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball today (281) 374-6454!
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision-makers on the first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Do You Have an Escape Plane
SERVPRO of Spring/Tomball is here to help 24/7, 365 days a year. Give us a call at (281) 374-6454 if you have fire damage to your home or business.
Fire Escape Plane
Studies have confirmed that a home fire is reported every 88 seconds. Once the smoke alarm sounds, a fire can spread quickly, leaving only a minute or two to escape the area. That’s why it is so important to have a home escape plan.
Start by drawing a map for your home and follow these guidelines from the National Fire Protection Association:
- Plan two way to escape from each room
- Make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily
- Identify secondary route—a window onto an adjacent roof or a collapsible ladder from upper-story windows
- If you live in a multi-story building, plan to use the stairs—never the elevator
- Designate an outside meeting place that is a safe distance from the house where everyone should meet